Trash Can Coons
We received a call from Colorado Humane Society about six baby raccoons.
The story they told was horrifying.
A homeowner, living in Cherry Hills, found a family of raccoons living in their chimney. They were completely intolerant of
the situation. They aggressively chased the mother out and immediately took the six babies, put them in the trash can to stay till
the trash men came round.
Luckily for the raccoons, the homeowners called Englewood Animal Control two days later to complain about raccoons living in
the area. Seeing nothing wrong with what they had done, they told Animal Control about the babies in the can. Englewood
rushed to their rescue and took them out of the trash, then rushed them to Colorado Humane Society, who then called us.
They were terrified, dehydrated and hungry when they arrived at the facility. They also had a spit-fire attitude and were very
intent on self-preservations.
We knew they would be fine after water, food, peace and quiet, and cool shade was administered. Can you imagine how hot and
horrible it must have been in that closed metal trash can for two days? Also, they had just lost their mother. It's a wonder
that they survived.
They now have a new, safe house and each other, at least. They will be released, wild and free, as soon as they are old enough
to survive on their own.
The human race is a living oxymoron. That some care so much and some care so little.
Back to Rescues of Note